Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Vintage Inspired Bottles


I just realized something today.

I've been a bottle collector for 40 years!

I have always always loved pretty little glass things, but to my recollection, my love of pretty bottles began when I was in 4th grade. My teacher had a tiny blue green bottle, shaped like a "genie bottle", and I fell in love with it. 

Well, I can't recall how it came about {I may have pestered her mercilessly} but she ended up giving me that little bottle and I thought I had been bestowed with the most amazing treasure in the world. Seriously. 

I still had that little bottle up until a few years ago, and now I'm so sad I let it go! 

Yes, I promise to seek psychological help soon ;)

Forty years later, I'm here to share some easy ideas for creating home and holiday decor using old (or new) bottles and some items you probably already have around your home and in your junk stash. 
Come on, you know you have one.





Although I did not drink the contents of these amber brown jugs, I was more than happy to receive them from a family member for all manner of craft-y purposes. 
You can see how I used some of these for Valentine "Love Potion" bottles back in January here.






You may recall seeing these in our Nature Inspired Foyer.
I simply pasted a vintage bird image, and the front panel of a note card with a pine cone, onto the brown jugs.





To give them a little update for our winter decor, I used vintage glass glitter to add a little frosty sparkle to them




To one, I added a glass stopper from a vintage decanter, and to the other I added a glass door knob as a stopper. This is such an easy way to add one of a kind pieces to your decor without spending any money!



I created some brown bottle ornaments, that are also pretty on a mantel or incorporated into your other seasonal decor.





I decoupaged vintage sheet music stamped with a bird to this bottle, layered with a smaller cherub image. I added a glittery star, a hand stamped "hope" tag, a white cotton scrap ribbon and a metal wire loop so the bottle can be hung on the Christmas tree if desired.






I used a strong adhesive to glue white enamel drawer pulls to the top of the bottles.



Some I embellished with pieces of hand stamped cotton fabric, metal snowflakes and glitter stars.







I really love the old fashioned look of the brown glass with the white enamel top!








I almost like the plain side better. Hmm...






With this clear glass round bottle, I made a little snow globe style decoration. 




It's filled with Epsom salts for 'snow', a tiny Christmas tree and some sparkly little jewels and stars.



I added a cork to the top and created a little cardboard flag with a vintage style snowman sticker, and a tiny jingle bell at the top. 







This last one is another brown bottle, this time with a vintage style Father Christmas holding a glittery star.


I found several glass stoppers for spice jars in my "stuff" and decided to dress one up a bit by gluing a glass door knob to the top of it to make a more substantial top for this bottle. It doesn't really fit snugly in the top, but I love the way it looks!







These are just a few of the ways I've embellished bottles in my forty year bottle hoarding 'career'. :)

Some of these are available in the shop, but some are staying put in my winter decor for now. 

I hope I've given you a little inspiration for some things you might create this season with items you may already have in your crafting supplies. 

December is flying by too quickly-eek! See you all soon!

Jeanette

Come party with me over at
What's It Wednesday at Ivy and Elephants 
Be Inspired at Common Ground 
Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home 
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage 







http://creatingalifenow.blogspot.com/2013/12/easy-chicken-and-biscuits-with.html

Yummy and simple Chicken and Biscuits with Campbell's soup! Click the photo for the recipe, plus links to many more easy and delicious meal ideas. 



10 comments:

  1. What a cute and clever way to decorate! Well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jeanette,
    I love these bottles so cute. I love the one with the little child on the sled. Love it.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so pretty! I love all of those creative stoppers :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love your bottles. I have a blue-green genie bottle and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also love old bottles. very cute how you have decorated those. 'Found your blog via Ivy & Elephants' link party, and now following :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love decorating bottles, too! Your little brown jugs are just adorable! The linen bows are just perfect!
    Thanks so much for sharing with us.
    Haugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love bottles, blue, brown, clear. Even better if they're vintage! I love what you have done Jeanette. The addition of the bows is really sweet!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantabulous post this has been. Never seen this kind of useful post. I am grateful to you and expect more number of posts like these. Thank you very much.Virus Disinfecting Services Matthews

    ReplyDelete
  9. kit en coton 100% coton facile et confortable Ă  porter.
    IdĂ©al pour l’hiver Chaque kit est emballĂ© individuellement
    Le kit contient:
    1 pantalon
    1 t-shirt Ă  manches longues
    1 paire de chaussettes
    Taille: XXL
    Emballage: 25 kits / boîte
    Prix: Euro 2.70 / ensemble SOCIAL ACCOUNTS
    https://www.facebook.com/epitexfrance/Kit Sous Vetement Coton Hiver

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!